logo



Fish in Mustard Gravy

Fish in Mustard Gravy


I started to cook fish and try to look beyond my usual Fish Fry.  This fish curry  I made with my sister recipe, she gave me a bottle of whole yellow mustard seeds and recipe to use the mustard in different recipe.   Fish and mustard goes well and it makes me keep thinking of Bengali way of fish curry.   The recipe is pity simple and if you look for change from your  tamarind or coconut base fish curry then you should try this, I used mustard oil but you can do with any oil of your choice.  


 Ingredients

Fish – 500gms ( I used Seer Fish/ King Mackerel/Vanjiram Meen variety)
Onion – 2 large
Tomato – 2 large
Green Chilies – 4
Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Nigella Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Oil – 3 tbsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
To Grind
Yellow Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp [yellow ones]
Poppy Seeds – 2 tbsp [ I replaced with 15 cashews]
Ginger – 1” pieces
Garlic – 2 pods [4 if using small]


Method:

1. Coat fish with salt and 1 tsp turmeric and keep aside
2. Finely chop or grate onion, chop green chilies and tomato.
3. Grind all the ingredients in ‘To Grind’ to smooth paste using little water and keep side.
3. In a pan/wok heat oil until smoking point if using mustard oil, add cumin & nigella seeds and allow to splutter.
4. Add grated onion, green chili and sauté until light golden brown. Add grinded masala and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame or until raw smell goes off, keep stirring regularly.
5. Add chopped tomato and allow it to get mash, now add red chili, turmeric powders and mix well, cook until oil separates from masala.
6. Now add fish pieces and gently coat fish with masala, cover and cook for 10 minutes do stir in intervals.
7. Add 2 cups of water, salt and gently mix, cover and cook again for 8-10 minutes in medium to slow flame or until oil floats on top and fish is cooked.

Serve warm with steamed rice.


Have a nice day ~~
google.com, pub-8633747334629857, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

13 comments:

  1. Wow...that's an delectable fish gravy....I tasted prawns in mustard based gravy recently....yet to taste fish....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good Priti. Though I am a vegetarian, I cook fish for the husband. Can we use any kind of fish for making this gravy. Looks tempting even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Uma, same here I make for DH too, I don't like to eat. I used Seer Fish/ King Mackerel/Vanjiram variety, you can use any variety of fish though I think Salmon won't be a right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and tempting...never tried fish with mustard seeds...will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempting fish curry,love the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salivating here, can guess how flavourful this gravy will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mouthwatering fish dish..i've seen some of my bengali friends use mustard a lot in their dishes..i must say it definitely tasted good and different

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mouth watering...

    luckysskitchen.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Indian Khana. Stay Connected with
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest